Soft Italian chocolate cookies that are the perfect keto, low calorie dessert
Since being on the keto diet, I’ve learned that you have to count your calories – not just the carbs. Isn’t this such a bummer?! The basic weight loss calorie equation still applies – calories in must be less than calories out. Finding creative ways to transform sugary treats into low carb sweets is so much fun, but you still shouldn’t (at least always) consume more than your daily calorie goal or this defeats the purpose of changing your dietary lifestyle in the first place.
As someone trying to fit into her wedding dress meanwhile confined to her home during this pandemic, this is easier said than done. And that’s why I love these cookies! They’re only 115 calories and 1g of carb per cookie! I can eat 1-2 for dessert, feel satisfied and don’t feel like I over-consumed for the day.
My fiance says that these taste like an italian dessert, and I think it’s because of the cream cheese and almond extract. They are very moist, and I love that almond flavor.
These are also super easy to make! Hope you enjoy!
This recipe comes from the Keto Comfort Foods cookbook by Maria Emmerich. She has tons of creative food and dessert recipes in this cookbook. Her recipes tend to require additional equipment and time to make, but I’m so excited to try more recipes from her Keto Comfort Foods cookbook and share them with you.
Step 1: Preheat oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with parchment paper
Step 2: Cream the butter and cream cheese together using a hand or kitchenmaid mixer
Step 3: Add the sweetener and continue mixing until creamy
Step 4: Mix in the egg, almond extract, and salt to the dough
Step 5: Last, mix in the almond flour, coconut flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and another pinch of salt and mix well to combine
Step 6: Scoop a tablespoon of dough and roll into a ball. Repeat to roll 24 cookies, placing them each 2 inches apart
Step 7: Bake for 12 minutes and enjoy!
Keto Cannoli Chocolate Cookies
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (softened)
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 3/4 cup swerve confectioner's sweetener
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp almond extract (or vanilla extract)
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- pinch of fine sea salt
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees Fahreinheit and line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Cream the butter and cream cheese together using a hand or kitchnmaid mixer.
- Add the sweetener and continue mixing until creamy.
- Mix in the egg, almond extract, and salt to the dough
- Last, mix in the almond flour, coconut flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and another pinch of salt and mix well to combine.
- Scoop a tablespoon of dough and roll into a ball. Repeat to roll 24 cookies, placing them each 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 12 minutes and enjoy!